Cardwell Primary School


Mutual Respect, Resilience,
Responsibility, Tolerance and Perseverance

Free school meals, clothing and school trip grants

If you receive a qualifying benefit and you have a child in primary or secondary school, you may be able to get free school meals, school clothing grants or school journey grants for your child. 

The Pupil Benefits Team will work out what support you can get.

You should include all the children in your household on the application form even if they are currently below school age. 

Apply Now For FSM, Clothing and Schooling Trip Grants

FSM Eligibility

To get free school meals, your child must attend a school within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. If your child attends a school in another borough you will need to apply to the relevant council or school directly. 

All children automatically get free school meals when they are in: 

  • reception 
  • year 1 
  • year 2

If you are on a qualifying benefit you should still complete an application form because your school will get extra money from the government.  

This money could go towards things like extra tuition, learning assistants and after-school activities. 

School Clothing Grants Eligibility

If you receive a qualifying benefit and you live within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, your child may be able to get a school clothing grant.  

To be eligible, your child much attend a school that is managed by a local authority. This is known as a ‘council maintained school’.

If you live in another borough you will need to contact the relevant council or school to see if you can receive any help. 

If you have been re-housed temporarily by the Royal Borough of Greenwich but you’re living in another borough, you may still be eligible to receive help from us. 

School Journey Grants Eligibility 

When schools arrange a journey, they notify us of the dates and destination.  

If you have completed an application form in the last six months you do not need to complete a new form, but you need to provide evidence of your current income

Children Of Groups Who Have No Recourse To Public Funds Eligibility

Free school meals have been temporarily extended to include some children of groups who have NRPF.

These groups are:

  • children of Zambrano carers (a non-UK citizen giving primary care to a British citizen child, which grants them limited leave to enter or remain in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS))
  • children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
  • children of families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are also subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction.

These groups are subject to a maximum household income threshold of £31,500 per year for London, and £28,200 for areas outside of London.

Read more about free school meals for NRPF groups and check if you're eligible

For more information about FSM, Clothing and school trips grants.

FSM, Clothing and school trips grant